Anyway, I got out some lovely Louet merino wool in the colour lupine lavender and some black merino (that I had left over from a different project). You can see the fibers next to each other below my spindle. I combined them using hand cards, but not too thouroughly. I wanted some of the black to be by itself as the yarn materilaized. See the combined fibers above my spindle.
I first divided the fiber into two bunches weighing around 25g. I like to spin around 25g at a time then ply the two together for a 50g skein. This is not necessarily the only or best way to work, but it is my way and I love it.
Then I spun the first bunch of fiber on my drop spindle. I am using a Louet top whorl spindle. After the fiber was finished, I threaded around 150 to 200 black glass seed beads onto my single. I slid them along so that they were approximately 1m (1yd) apart and then rolled the single into a ball to make it easy to ply later.
I then spun the second batch of fiber, and rolled it into a ball.
Plying was pretty easy, but I did have to be careful not to slide the beads along as I went. Of course they ended up closer together than I had originally placed them, but I was fine with that.
In the end, my yarn was approximately 164 yds long with 12 wraps per inch. It contains about 90% merino wool and 10% other wool. The beads haven't been added to the content percentages.
The coin in the photo is a Canadian penny (1 cent).